Bergdorf Goodman Through the Decades
On the corner of 5th Avenue & 58th Street in New York City stands a sanctuary of luxury fashion, one of the most prestigious of the city, if not, the world. Bergdorf Goodman. With a history as colorful as the clothes & fashion names it carries, the store has become a staple of New York City class. Starting in 1899 close to Union Square & then moving to 5th Avenue on the site of today’s Rockefeller Center, Bergdorf Goodman came to its present Art Deco location in 1928.
In 1914, Edwin Goodman was the first couturier to introduce ready-to-wear, making the store the top destination for premier American & French fashion. Later on, instead of expanding to other cities, Goodman preferred to operate in a single location where he would be able to personally maintain the quality of the merchandise & service. Quality over quantity.
Today, it is still where la creme de la creme of the world walks through its doors to find the finest names. From jewelry & accessories to shoes & beauty, Bergdorf Goodman has it all. A place of classical nostalgia, it has catapulted itself into the mainstay of international shopping. | Giuseppe
To the right, the former Vanderbilt mansion that would later become the site of today’s Bergdorf Goodman. The gates today stand at the Conservatory Gardens of Central Park at 5th Avenue + 105th Street
Across the street, the luxe Savoy Plaza Hotel once stood where the Apple Store + GM Building are today
The days when sizes started at 6 instead of 0
Bergdorf Goodman today
(pictures via Corbis, Conde Nast Archive, Edward Steichen, LIFE, Christopher Peterson, Library of Congress, Bergdorf Goodman)